Exfoliation According to your Skin Type
Don't Miss Our Giveaway!
EXFOLIATION DEPENDS ON YOUR SKIN TYPE
Exfoliation removes dead skin cells from the outer layers of the skin it can be beneficial for removing dry or dull skin, increasing blood circulation, and brightening and improving your skin’s appearance.
The way you exfoliate depends on your skin type, people with dry skin should not exfoliate the same way people with normal or combination skin must do it. Did you know this?
According to board certified New York City dermatologist, Dr DebraJaliman, your skin type will help determine how often to exfoliate. She also notes a few other factors that can affect how often you’ll want to exfoliate: age, hydration, weather, skin discoloration.
You’ll generally want to use different exfoliants on your face and body, since the skin on your face is more delicate.
Keeping your skin type in mind can help you choose the right product.
- Normal skin. Most products are likely safe to use.
- Dry skin. Aim to use gentler chemical formulas like glycolic acid.
- Oily skin. You can generally take your pick of physical exfoliants or stronger chemical exfoliants.
- Combination skin. Enjoy the best of both worlds by choosing gentle methods for drier areas and scrubs for oilier areas.
- Sensitive skin. Use gentle products formulated for sensitive skin and look for natural enzymes like papaya and pomegranate.
It can be tricky to find the right exfoliating balance for your skin. Once you know what your skin needs, though, it’s usually just a matter of sticking to a regular schedule and not overdoing it.
If you notice any unwanted changes, a dermatologist can always offer guidance tailored to your skin type and skin care needs.